Internal Auditor Competencies
The event industry came together to produce the new international standard in event sustainability management systems - ISO 20121, and now things have gone a step further with the release of specific competencies those auditing the standard must hold.
ISO has created a technical specification for competence requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of conformity assessment to ISO 20121. This document specifies the knowledge that must exist within the Audit Team undertaking external audits for ISO 20121.
A summary of the competencies required by Auditors:
- Event and event sustainability terminology
- Sustainability context
- Sustainable development principles
- Event sustainability design, planning and delivery
- Techniques for identification of sustainable development issues and the evaluation of their significance
- Legal and other requirements
- Venue characteristics
- Operational control
- Event sustainability metrics, measurement and monitoring techniques
- Event sustainability performance evaluation
The auditor competency specification is required to be taken up by 'Third Party' auditing bodies - however if you are conducting an internal or 'First Party' audit, you should also make sure the staff member conducting the audit also has skills and competencies in the areas listed above. Look also to the sustainable event management competencies that all practitioners should strive to achieve.